blznstr

My photo
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson said it; I believe it.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

ALGEBRA!


Well, my son is having some difficulties with some of the lessons in Algebra this year (school year). I wonder who ever thought of Algebra, and why??? Do I use this tool in my daily life? No. Believe it or not, the photo above is a a page from an Algebra textbook Kitab al-jam’wal tafriq bi hisab al-Hindi ("Book on Addition and Subtraction after the Method of the Indians"). From what I can tell (and my son would back me up on this I'm sure) the books have not gotten much easier to understand since 750-850AD! It is a good thing I have the answer sheets for my son's classwork, otherwise we would be in BIG trouble...
But I have to believe that there is a good reason it is in the grade curriculum...I guess. For those of you who have 8th graders like me, and particularly for those of you who are home schooling, I know you feel my pain! I am thinking about getting a professional tutor, just to make sure he can pass the SOLs. I called Huntington and would you believe those folks charge $43 an hour!?!? For tutoring! Man, I must be in the wrong business! Now I REALLY wish I was better in Algebra - I could open my own tutoring business AND help my son with his classwork.


Peace.

No comments: